Ratatouille with Cannellini Beans
This fragrant and delicious recipe comes from the South of France—and lucky for all of us, it’s packed with nutrients.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Ratatouille can be served hot or cold, and usually tastes better when served the next day. With the beans included, it makes a whole meal, or you can skip the beans and serve this as a side dish. For more recipes from Dr. Masley, visit drmasley.com/recipes.
- 1 medium Italian eggplant, ends trimmed and cut into 1‑inch cubes
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. fines herbes (or Italian herb seasoning)
- 3 small zucchini, cut into ½‑inch cubes (about 2½ cups)
- 2 small yellow squash, cut into ½‑inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tbs. dry red wine
- 3 fresh medium tomatoes, chopped (about 2½ cups)
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 (15‑oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- pinch of paprika or cayenne
1. Heat large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and 2 Tbs. water. Cook 2–3 minutes, stirring occasionally. When water has evaporated, reduce heat to medium, and add 2 Tbs. olive oil. Sauté another 2–3 minutes, until eggplant is tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat large saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining olive oil, onion, salt, black pepper, and fines herbes. Sauté 2–3 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, and wine, and stir to combine. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3–4 minutes, until vegetables soften.
3. Reduce heat to low, and add tomatoes, garlic, and fresh herbs. Add beans, cover, and simmer 10 minutes, until squash softens and flavors blend. Taste, and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serving Size 1 serving
- Calories 330
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 15 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 480 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g