- 6 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 large shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 heaping Tbs. fresh oregano leaves
- 4 cups organic chicken broth (or vegetable broth, if preferred)
- Shredded fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- In large bowl, gently toss tomatoes and shallots with olive oil and oregano. Spread tomato mix onto sheet pan in single layer, and roast until soft and slightly charred, about 20 minutes.
- Heat broth in large stockpot over medium heat. Add tomato mix with juices, and gently simmer 5 minutes. Transfer in batches to blender, and purée, leaving mixture slightly coarse in texture. Return to pot, add salt and pepper to taste, and keep warm.
- Serve in individual bowls sprinkled with a few shreds of basil and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 100
- Carbohydrate Content: 13 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 390 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g