This mushroom lover's delight tastes best chilled. Serve with whole-grain crackers and endive leaves. From article: Mushroom Magic.
- 3 cupsServings
1/2 cup brown lentils
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 pound crimini mushrooms, stems trimmed, coarsely chopped
1 large shallot, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup raw walnuts
1/4 cup soft, mild goat cheese
2 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves, with additional whole sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In medium saucepan, combine lentils with 11/4 cups water. Bring to a boil. Add garlic cloves, reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 20-25 minutes, or until lentils are soft and all of the water is absorbed. (If lentils dry out during cooking, add more water 2 Tbs. at a time.)
- While lentils are cooking, place mushrooms and shallots on large baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 Tbs. of the oil, mix with hands to coat, and roast at 400ºF for 10 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from oven, add cashews and walnuts to pan, and continue roasting for 5 minutes longer, until mushrooms are tender and nuts are fragrant.
- Transfer cooked lentils to a food processor. Add roasted mushroom mixture, goat cheese, thyme, and process until smooth, frequently scraping down sides of food processor with a spatula. If mixture seems too dry, drizzle remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil through feeder tube while processing. Season with sea salt and white pepper.
- Pack pate into a ramekin, smooth top, and chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Garnish top with fresh thyme leaves.
- Calories: 77
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 20 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g