Roasted Pumpkin Bisque
Low-fat doesn’t have to mean lacking in flavor. This rich, skinny soup uses potatoes and cauliflower for a creamy texture and added nutrition, minus the fat (and dairy).
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A base of earthy-sweet pumpkin, plus miso and rosemary, add volumes of flavor to a silky fall soup that’s perfect for a chilly evening. Or swap canned pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie mix) for a speedy, just-as-tasty version.
Roasted Pumpkin Bisque recipe
- 1 small sugar (pie) pumpkin
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5 cups vegetable broth, or more if needed
- 2 Tbs. red miso
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Additional fresh rosemary for garnish (optional)
- To roast pumpkin: Preheat oven to 375F. Halve pumpkin, remove seeds, and brush cut sides lightly with olive oil. Arrange flesh-side down on parchment-lined baking sheet, and roast 40–45 minutes, until tender. Remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle, then scoop out flesh. Measure out 2 packed cups roasted pumpkin, and set aside. Refrigerate or freeze remaining pumpkin for later use.
- In large, heavy pot, combine potatoes, cauliflower, onion, garlic, rosemary sprigs, and 5 cups broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partly covered, 10–12 minutes, until potatoes and cauliflower are soft. Remove rosemary sprigs and discard. Stir in pumpkin and mix well.
- Purée soup in batches in food processor, adding broth if needed to reach desired consistency. Return to pot and heat through.
- Transfer ½ cup hot soup to small bowl. Add miso, and stir until smooth. Pour miso mixture back into pot and stir until well blended (don’t heat miso). Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- To serve, divide soup among individual bowls. Garnish with fresh rosemary, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Calories 200
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 1 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 790 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g