Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Prunes are packed with insoluble fiber, which is great for digestion and cancer prevention. Plus, they contain a healthy among of boron, a key bone-building mineral that helps prevent osteoporosis. They’re joined in this satisfying salad by walnuts, a great source of heart- and brain-supporting omega-3 fats, as well as immune-boosting ellagic acid.
Salad with Prunes and Spiced Walnuts
- To make Spiced Walnuts: Preheat oven to 400°F. Microwave honey 10 seconds in bowl, until just softened. Stir in cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt, and mix well. Add walnuts and stir to coat. Transfer walnuts to glass baking dish, and bake 2 minutes, until lightly toasted. Remove and let cool.
- To make Raspberry Dressing: Whisk together olive oil, raspberry preserves, and grapefruit juice in small bowl.
- To make Bitter Greens Salad: Combine arugula, frisée, radicchio, prunes, and pear in medium bowl. Toss with dressing. Transfer to four serving plates and top with Spiced Walnuts and feta or blue cheese, if desired.
- Calories 69
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content >1 g
- Sodium Content 73 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g