Seaweed Salt & Mint Gravlax
Salmon lovers, you’re in for a treat! This cured salmon dish is a lot easier to make than it might sound. See our suggestions below on how to serve it. 3 Easy Ways to Enjoy Your Salmon Salad: Serve over mesclun greens with a lemon and olive oil dressing. Sandwich:…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Salmon lovers, you’re in for a treat! This cured salmon dish is a lot easier to make than it might sound. See our suggestions below on how to serve it.
3 Easy Ways to Enjoy Your Salmon
- Salad: Serve over mesclun greens with a lemon and olive oil dressing.
- Sandwich: Place a single layer between slices of pumpernickel rye with mustard and arugula and maybe some thinly-sliced heirloom tomato.
- Canapé: Top crispy flatbread pieces with curls of the salmon over a shmear of plain Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and mustard mixed together; garnish with cilantro leaves.
1 1/2 lb. salmon filet, center cut, skin on
- Selina Naturally
1/3 cup superfine sugar
1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1/2 Tbs. microplaned lemon zest
2 cups fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
1. Make a dozen small incisions in salmon skin with tip of sharp knife.
2. Combine salt, sugar, pepper, and lemon zest. Scatter half of mint across bottom of 8-inch glass pan. Rub salt mixture all over both sides of salmon. Place salmon skin side up in the pan, and scatter remaining mint over top. Cover with plastic wrap pressed against fish (with the edges hanging over sides of dish). Place another 8-inch glass pan on top of salmon, and place several heavy cans on top of that.
3. Refrigerate 2–3 days, turning fish twice a day, until fish turns opaque. Scrape off herbs and salt mix, rinse fish briefly in cold running water, and pat dry. Slice thinly on the bias as you would smoked salmon, without the skin, to serve.
- Serving Size 1 Serving
- Calories 130
- Carbohydrate Content 6 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 740 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g