Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Tandoori chicken is a warmly spiced, juicy chicken dish cooked at a high temperature in a clay oven. But if a trip to India is not in your near future, how can you satisfy your craving for tandoori chicken at home? Make a sheet pan rendition! This version is cooked in the oven, and the spices are available at any health food or grocery store. While it’s not 100 percent authentic, the robust mix of spices and tenderness of the chicken resemble dishes abroad and at Indian restaurants. Sweet potato, cauliflower, and chickpeas are added to make this an all-in-one meal.
Don’t skip the cilantro and lemon juice. They are the final touches that will transport you to a faraway place. Serve with brown rice or a steaming plate of naan with Greek yogurt for dipping.
Excerpted from The Well Plated Cookbook by Erin Clarke with permission of Avery, an imprint of Penguin Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. Copyright © Erin Clarke, 2020.
1. Remove skin from chicken. Cut breasts in half crosswise, if using.
2. To large resealable plastic bag, add yogurt, garlic, ginger, cumin, 1 tsp. chili powder, and 1 tsp. salt. Seal bag to remove air, and squish ingredients together until combined. Add chicken to bag, seal, and shake to coat. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 425°F and place rack in center. Line large-rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat generously with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Drain and rinse chickpeas, and pat dry with paper towels, removing any loose skins. Place chickpeas in large mixing bowl.
5. Add cauliflower and sweet potato to bowl with chickpeas. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with remaining chili powder, turmeric, and remaining salt. Toss to evenly coat, and spread into single layer on prepared baking sheet.
6. Remove chicken from bag, and shake off any excess marinade. Arrange piece on top of vegetables, and bake 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven and carefully stir veggies around to promote even cooking. Return pan to oven, and bake 15–20 minutes more, until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165°F and juices run clear when sliced.
7. Squeeze lemon over chicken and veggies, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.
- Serving Size 1 serving
- Calories 620
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 145 mg
- Fat Content 34 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 49 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 1090 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g