Want to include more mushrooms in your diet? Start with easy-to-find varieties such as shiitake.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This dish is insanely easy to prepare, is packed with nutrients, and is surprisingly satisfying given its simplicity. There’s peppery arugula, brightness from the lemon, hot-and-smoky paprika, and creamy, salty umami flavor from the cheese. Recipe excerpted with permission from Healing Mushrooms by Tero Isokauppila.
- 1 bunch arugula (4 cups)
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and very thinly sliced
- Juice of ½ lemon (1 Tbs.)
- Extra-virgin olive oil (approx. 2 Tbs.)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Smoked paprika (½–1 tsp.)
- 1½ oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
Divide arugula between two plates, and top with mushroom slices. Drizzle lemon juice and olive oil over mushrooms, and season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Finish with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese over all.
- Calories 260
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 15 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 380 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g