Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
“Nice cream” is the term for a healthy ice cream that’s made with little more than just bananas (which, understandably, is pretty nice, right?). It takes just a moment to create, as long as you freeze the bananas ahead of time. Here, it becomes the perfect base to add a generous cinnamon sweetness and adorn with a cookie-like crumble.
1. Peel bananas and place in freezer bag. Freeze at least 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Make Snickerdoodle Topping: Place dates in food processor, and process until ground into fine bits. Add pecans, cinnamon, sea salt, and coconut oil, and process briefly until mixture looks like cookie crumbs. Transfer to small bowl, stir in the hemp seeds, and set aside.
3. Make Nice Cream: In shaker cup or glass, combine almond milk, protein powder, sea salt, and cinnamon. Mix or shake until well combined.
4. Working quickly to preserve frozen texture, slice each frozen banana into eight pieces, and place sections into food processor or high-speed blender. Add the almond milk mixture to bananas. Process briefly, stopping machine and scraping down sides as needed. When mixture begins to transform from chunky to “whipped” (like frozen yogurt), stop machine.
5. Immediately transfer to serving bowls, top with Snickerdoodle topping, and enjoy.
- Calories 410
- Carbohydrate Content 58 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 460 mg
- Sugar Content 36 g