For more about this recipe: Better Nutrition in the 1960s, Part 2
1 clove garlic, mashed
2 1/2 cups Dos Equis or other Mexican beer
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup raw, hulled pumpkin seeds, ground fine
1 1/2 lbs. Pepper Jack cheese, shredded, about 4 cups
1/2 cup diced roasted green chiles
2 cups whole pickled jalapenos, for dipping
- Place garlic and beer in saucepan, and heat over low until simmering. Mix cornstarch with water, stirring to make paste, and stir into beer. Increase heat and cook beer until it boils and begins to thicken. Reduce heat to low. Add pumpkin seeds and cook 2 minutes.
- Add cheese and, using generous handfuls at a time, stir into beer until cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat until cheese is gone. Stir in green chiles.
- Transfer cheese mixture to fondue pot or crockpot. Keep fondue warm over alcohol burner or in crockpot over lowest setting.
- Calories: 450
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Cholesterol Content: 90 mg
- Fat Content: 33 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16 g
- Sodium Content: 950 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g