This unusual and fresh-tasting salad pairs beautifully with roasted chicken. For a gluten-free version, swap spelt for forbidden black rice.
- Serves 6Servings
2/3 cup organic spelt
2 cups water
8 oz. sugar snap peas
1 large peach, peeled, pitted, and diced*
1/3 cup chopped raw pecans
1 1/2 Tbs. blood orange olive oil
1 Tbs. raspberry vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
Handful shredded fresh mint leaves
- Bring spelt and water to a boil in small saucepan. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender, about 55-60 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Steam peas until just past hard but still crisp, about 1½ minutes. Rinse under cold running water, and halve peas with sharp knife.
- In medium bowl, combine spelt, peas, peaches, and pecans. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar, add salt & pepper, and toss lightly.
- Mound in serving bowl, and top with shredded mint.
- Calories: 172
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 7 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g