You can easily make this cake gluten-free with all-purpose gluten-free flour and gluten-free whole-grain pastry flour (try Jovial Foods). For a sugar-free cake, use a 1:1 sugar replacement such as Ellyndale Foods Sugarless Sugar or Xlear Lite&Sweet.
Did you know?
Persimmons are at their peak from October through February.
1¼ cups all-purpose organic flour, plus extra for dusting pan
1 large Hachiya persimmon
1 cup organic whole-wheat pastry flour
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1½ tsp. baking powder
1½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. coarse salt
¾ cup organic unsalted butter (1½ sticks)
1½ cups plus 2 Tbs. organic sugar, divided
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups whole Greek yogurt, divided
2 tsp. confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat Bundt pan with cooking spray; dust with flour.
- Halve persimmon, and scoop out flesh. Discard skin, and purée flesh until smooth. (You should have 1 cup.)
- Whisk together flours, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl.
- Beat butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in 1½ cups sugar, and continue to beat 1 minute, or until mixture is fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to very low, and add half of flour mixture. Add half of persimmon purée, then remaining flour mixture, followed by remaining persimmon purée, and ¼ cup yogurt. Transfer batter to prepared pan, and bake 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Transfer cake to wire rack. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Unmold, and cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- Whisk together remaining 1¾ cups yogurt and remaining 2 Tbs. sugar in bowl. Serve cake with yogurt cream.
- Serving Size: 1 slice cake with 2 Tbs. yogurt cream
- Calories: 282
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 63 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 205 mg
- Sugar Content: 23 g