Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Beef & broccoli is a classic takeout dish, but you can make this fast and fresh version at home faster than you can have it delivered. Sautéed grass-fed sirloin and broccoli and tossed in a savory sauce that incorporates a mixture of honey, ginger, garlic, orange, and apple juice, this dish is served on a bed of brown rice, making this meal is the perfect combination of good-for-you ingredients.
- Cut 1/8-inch-wide strips of rind from one orange, set aside. Squeeze juice from both oranges into small mixing bowl (about ½ cup of juice). Whisk soy sauce, 1 Tbs. water, apple juice, honey, and cornstarch into juice. Set sauce aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tsp. of oil. Add beef, and sauté 1 minute. Set beef aside on paper-towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet. Add garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, and strips of orange rind, and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli and 1/3 cup water. Cover and steam, about 2 minutes. Add red pepper, and sauté 1 minute more. Gradually whisk in orange sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes. Add scallions and beef, and stir to combine. Serve over brown rice.
- Calories 320
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 320 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g