Spicy Sloppy Joes With Tempeh
This flavorful, easy-to-make entrée swaps tempeh for the traditional ground beef, with lots of garlic and onions simmered in a rich tomato sauce. Our version is pleasantly spicy; skip the jalapeño pepper to dial down the heat. Serve it with a side salad of arugula, avocado cubes, and pumpkin seeds for extra prostate protection.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
For more about this recipe: Prostate Protection
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 package tempeh, crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 Tbs. ketchup
- 1 Tbs. regular or vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. mustard
- 4 gluten-free or whole-grain hamburger buns
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper ,and jalapeño , and cook 2 minutes, or until just tender. Stir in tempeh, and cook for 5–7 minutes longer, until tempeh is lightly browned, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Stir in garlic, tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 7 minutes, until vegetables are cooked through and flavors are blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place bottom half of each bun on four individual plates. Divide sloppy joe mix between roll bottoms. Cover with bun tops and serve immediately.
- Calories 430
- Carbohydrate Content 53 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 830 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g