Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
See more Paleo vegan recipes at: The Paleo Vegan
- Arrange sweet potatoes in a steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes, until tender.
- While sweet potatoes are steaming, heat oil in a large skillet and sauté onion for 3-4 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, chili flakes, ginger, curry, mustard, and cumin; sauté for 1 minute longer, stirring constantly and being careful not to brown the garlic or burn spices.
- Add sweet potatoes to onion and spice mixture; stir, and mash with a fork. Stir in lime, scallions, and cilantro, and keep warm.
- Remove and discard stems from collards. Drop leaves into a large pot of boiling water and cook for 8 minutes, until pliable but still bright green. Remove cooked collards from boiling water with tongs and drop into ice water for 30 seconds to stop cooking and set color. Remove from ice bath, and pat dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- To assemble rolls: place one leaf on a flat surface, with the inside surface of the leaf showings. Cut off lower inch of leaf. Mound about ½ cup of sweet potato mixture onto lower third of the leaf. Fold bottom edge of leaf over mixture, and fold sides of leaves in to cover mixture. Starting at the bottom edge, roll leaf tightly to encase filling completely.
- Arrange, seam side down, on a serving plate. Repeat with remaining leaves. Reserve any leftover filling for later use. Serve immediately with chutney.
- Calories 220
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 90 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g