Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Falafel Goes Green
Eaten by the Aztecs hundreds of years ago, spirulina powder is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. It’s rich in protein, iron, and vitamins A, K, and B12. Try it in this tasty falafel recipe!
Why Nutrex Spirulina Is a Standout
One 3-gram serving of Nutrex Hawaiian Spirulina provides:
- 2 grams of protein
- Vitamins A, K1, K2, B12, and iron
- Potent phytonutrients such as GLA, SOD, carotenoids, and phycocyanin
Spirulina Falafel Recipe
- To make Falafel: Pulse chickpeas, tahini, egg, lemon zest, cumin, garlic, lemon juice, coriander, chili powder, and salt in blender or food processor until mostly smooth, but still chunky. Transfer to bowl, and stir in flour, onion, parsley, and baking powder.
- Shape 1/4 cup chickpea mixture into 1-inch-thick patty, and place on platter. Repeat with remaining chickpea mixture. (Falafel patties can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight.)
- Pour olive oil into large skillet to a depth of 1/4 inch. Heat over medium-high heat. Place patties in pan, and cook 3 minutes per side. Transfer to paper-towel-lined platter to drain. Repeat with remaining patties.
- To make Yogurt Sauce: Combine yogurt, cilantro, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, and spirulina in serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with warm falafel.
- Serving Size 1 patty
- Calories 350
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 520 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g