Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Thick cauliflower “steaks” are coated with a savory blend of ground flax and sumac—a bright-red, tart Middle Eastern seasoning—and served with a tahini-inspired butter that incorporates flax and za’atar, a Middle Eastern seasoning blend with thyme, oregano, sumac, sesame seeds, and other spices. The sesame-flax butter is made with flax oil—a good way to use this delicate oil, which should never be heated. We used golden flax seeds for the butter for a pale, pretty look, but brown flax works just as well. For an even creamier sauce, swap whole yogurt for the water.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Trim bottom of cauliflower stem, keeping core intact. Using sharp knife, slice cauliflower heads from top toward stem, cutting three or four ¾-inch thick “steaks” from each head. Reserve remaining florets for another use. Arrange steaks on two large, rimmed baking sheets, and set aside.
- Whisk together ground flax, sumac, cumin, garlic powder, and salt in small bowl. Brush both sides of each steak with olive oil, and sprinkle both sides with spice and flax mixture. Roast 20–25 minutes, rotating pans and flipping each steak halfway through cooking, until lightly browned and tender.
- While cauliflower is roasting, combine sesame seeds and golden flax seeds in high-powered blender or food processor, and grind into coarse powder. Add flax oil, and continue grinding until thick paste forms. With blender or food processor running, add lemon juice, garlic, za’atar, and water to make a thick, creamy spread. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and transfer to serving bowl.
- Remove cauliflower steaks from oven and arrange on a serving dish. Sprinkle with cilantro and black sesame seeds, if using, and serve with sesame-flax butter on the side.
- Calories 310
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 260 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g