Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
If you like the combination of sweet, salty, tart, crunchy, and umami flavors and textures, don’t skip this brussels sprouts recipe. The pomegranate adds a hint of sweetness, sherry vinegar gives it zing, pumpkin seeds bring the crunch, and pancetta imparts a salty-meaty flavor.
Sweet and Sour Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate, Pancetta, and Pumpkin Seeds
- Heat heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbs. avocado oil and Brussels sprouts, and cook about 12 minutes, until nicely browned and caramelized in cut sides. Remove from pan.
- Reduce heat to medium, and add remaining oil. When oil is heated, add squash and shallots, and cook 10–15 minutes, until tender.
- Add Brussels sprouts and pancetta or bacon to pan, and heat through. Add butter, season with salt and pepper, and toss until melted.
- Place vegetable-pancetta mixture in serving bowl. Sprinkle with sherry vinegar, and stir to coat. Top with pumpkin seeds and pomegranate seeds.
- Calories 310
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 380 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g