Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
If you like the combination of sweet, salty, tart, crunchy, and umami flavors and textures, don’t skip this brussels sprouts recipe. The pomegranate adds a hint of sweetness, sherry vinegar gives it zing, pumpkin seeds bring the crunch, and pancetta imparts a salty-meaty flavor.
Sweet and Sour Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate, Pancetta, and Pumpkin Seeds
- Heat heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbs. avocado oil and Brussels sprouts, and cook about 12 minutes, until nicely browned and caramelized in cut sides. Remove from pan.
- Reduce heat to medium, and add remaining oil. When oil is heated, add squash and shallots, and cook 10–15 minutes, until tender.
- Add Brussels sprouts and pancetta or bacon to pan, and heat through. Add butter, season with salt and pepper, and toss until melted.
- Place vegetable-pancetta mixture in serving bowl. Sprinkle with sherry vinegar, and stir to coat. Top with pumpkin seeds and pomegranate seeds.
- Calories 310
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 380 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g