Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These shortcakes are so delicious, you’ll never believe they were made with Jovial Foods einkorn flour. If you want to make a really super indulgent dessert, try adding a dollop of whipped cream over the fruit before you put the top of the shortcakes on. For more about the health benefits of einkorn, see: When it Comes to Nutrition, Ancient Wheat Can’t Be Beat.
Sweet Einkorn Shortcakes Recipe
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine strawberries, peaches, lemon juice, honey, currant syrup, and liqueur, if using, in large glass bowl. Toss lightly to combine, and refrigerate mixture at least 1 hour.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in food processor, and pulse several times to combine. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 3/4 cup buttermilk, and pulse until dry ingredients are moistened and dough begins to clump around blade.
- Dump dough onto lightly-floured, dry flat surface and, using heel of your hand, quickly press out clumps of dough in a smoothing motion, five or six motions in all. Gather dough together, divide into six portions, and lightly pat each portion into ½-inch-thick round. Place rounds onto parchment-covered baking sheet, brush tops with remaining buttermilk, and bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned and set. Let cool on wire rack.
- Cut each shortcake in half. Place bottom half on dessert plate, spoon in generous amount of fruit mixture, and top with other half of shortcake.
- Calories 367
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 43 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 503 mg
- Sugar Content 25 g