Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
These shortcakes are so delicious, you’ll never believe they were made with Jovial Foods einkorn flour. If you want to make a really super indulgent dessert, try adding a dollop of whipped cream over the fruit before you put the top of the shortcakes on. For more about the health benefits of einkorn, see: When it Comes to Nutrition, Ancient Wheat Can’t Be Beat.
Sweet Einkorn Shortcakes Recipe
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine strawberries, peaches, lemon juice, honey, currant syrup, and liqueur, if using, in large glass bowl. Toss lightly to combine, and refrigerate mixture at least 1 hour.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in food processor, and pulse several times to combine. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 3/4 cup buttermilk, and pulse until dry ingredients are moistened and dough begins to clump around blade.
- Dump dough onto lightly-floured, dry flat surface and, using heel of your hand, quickly press out clumps of dough in a smoothing motion, five or six motions in all. Gather dough together, divide into six portions, and lightly pat each portion into ½-inch-thick round. Place rounds onto parchment-covered baking sheet, brush tops with remaining buttermilk, and bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned and set. Let cool on wire rack.
- Cut each shortcake in half. Place bottom half on dessert plate, spoon in generous amount of fruit mixture, and top with other half of shortcake.
- Calories 367
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 43 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 503 mg
- Sugar Content 25 g