- 2 Tbs. neutral high-heat oil, such as rice bran or pastured butter
- 8 boneless, 4 oz. rainbow trout fillets, or 4 whole 6 oz. rainbow trout, deboned and butterflied wide open
- Salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed and thinly sliced
- 1 large lemon, seeded, peel and pith cut away, and roughly chopped
- 2 pints heirloom cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup whole pitted Kalamata or green olives, drained
- 2 Tbs. capers
- ½ lemon, for squeezing
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, optional for garnish
Heat rice bran or butter oil in large skillet, sauté pan, or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Evenly season trout fillets with salt and pepper. Add fillets in single layer to skillet, skin side up, and allow to cook, undisturbed, about 3 minutes. Gently flip fish, and sear about 2 minutes, or until just cooked through. (Try to flip the fish only once to prevent breakage.)
While fish is cooking, heat olive oil in large sauté pan at just below medium-high heat. Add garlic, lemon, and tomatoes, and sauté 3–4 minutes, until tomatoes start to soften. Add olives and capers, and sauté 2 minutes more (bursting some tomatoes), until everything is hot and tender.
Add tomato mixture to serving plates, and arrange fillets on top. Squeeze lemon over all, and garnish with parsley, if using.
- Calories: 470
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 135 mg
- Fat Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 48 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4.5 g
- Sodium Content: 440 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g