Tropical Hibiscus Cooler
Break out the mini umbrellas for this exotic, rum-optional elixir. For a lighter drink, you can make a spritzer with 2 Tbs. of the hibiscus syrup and 3/4 cup seltzer water. Serve with a straw for stirring.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3 hibiscus tea bags or 2 Tbs. dried hibiscus flower
- 6–8 tsp. stevia or ½ cup sugar
- 4 cups pineapple juice
- 6 oz. white rum, optional
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbs. light coconut milk
- 6 fresh pineapple slices, for garnish
- Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
1. Steep tea bags in 1 1/2 cups boiling water 15 minutes. Strain, and discard tea bags; transfer liquid to saucepan. Stir in sugar, and return liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and boil 15 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half. Transfer to bowl, and place in freezer 10 minutes, or until mixture is syrupy.
2. Fill glasses with ice. Pour 2/3 cup pineapple juice and 1 oz. rum (if using) into each glass. Add 1 1/2 Tbs. coconut milk, and drizzle 2 Tbs. hibiscus syrup over coconut milk. Garnish with pineapple slices and mint sprigs
- Calories 195
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 11 mg
- Sugar Content 38 g