For more about this recipe: Cook with Turmeric
- Serves 4Servings
- 2 medium yellow squash or zucchini, stemmed
- 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. coriander
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. cracked black pepper
- ¼ tsp. cardamom
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1½ lbs. raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, optional
- Grate squash by hand or with grating
- attachment on food processor (this is easiest if you slice squash in half lengthwise and feed halves through the opening).
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large sauté pan over medium heat, and add shredded squash. Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid, stir, and test for tenderness. Drain off any accumulated liquids, and continue cooking for another minute or so until tender, if necessary.
- While squash is cooking, heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add spices, and sauté 1 minute,
- or until very fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes and shrimp, and cook until shrimp are just cooked through. Stir in the cilantro or parsley, if using, and serve shrimp over squash "pasta."
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 250
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Cholesterol Content: 275 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 37 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 670 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g