Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Garnished with fresh bean sprouts, basil, cilantro, jalapeño, and shaved onions, this beef & rice noodles soup is a great combo of hearty and fresh, all in one bowl. For even more heat and color, serve with sliced chiles over top.
MAKE IT FAST
- Chop one-half of onion, and then cut remaining one-half of onion into slices. Place sliced onion in a bowl of cold water, refrigerate and reserve for garnish.
- On the Instant Pot, select Sauté, adjust the heat to More/High and add oil. Add chopped onions, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, coriander seeds, star anise and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown, 3 minutes. Press Cancel.
- To pot, add water, broth and sugar and stir to combine. Add steaks and push down to submerge in liquid. Set release valve to seal, select Pressure and set to More/High; adjust time to 25 minutes.
- Let pressure come down naturally for 15 minutes (don’t move the vent) and then quick-release any remaining pressure. Transfer meat to a cutting board and cut or shred into bite-size chunks, discarding any fat or connective tissue. Remove and discard ginger, lemongrass, star anise and cinnamon stick. Strain liquid through a fine mesh sieve.
- Add noodles and snow peas to pot, select Sauté and adjust heat to More/High. Cover with a regular pot lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, until noodles and snow peas are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Return meat to pot; stir in fish sauce.
- 6Drain sliced onions and pat dry. Divide soup among bowls and top with sliced onions and remaining garnishes.
MAKE IT SLOW
- Follow Step 1 of “Make It Fast” instructions.
- Using the sauté function in a 4½- to 7-quart slow cooker, heat oil. Sauté chopped onions, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, coriander seeds, star anise and cinnamon stick, stirring occasionally, until onions are beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. (If your slow cooker doesn’t have a sauté function, use a skillet on medium-high; then add ingredients to slow cooker.)
- To slow cooker, add water, broth and sugar and stir to combine. Add steaks and push down to submerge in liquid. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours. Carefully remove lid. Transfer meat to a cutting board and cut or shred into bite-size chunks. Strain liquid, return to pot. Add noodles and snow peas and adjust to High; cover and cook until noodles and snow peas are tender, 10 to 15 minutes more. Return beef to slow cooker and cook for 1 minute more. Serve with reserved sliced onions and remaining garnishes.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 432
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 83 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 451 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g