For a colder, slushier beverage, scoop out watermelon balls, spread on a baking sheet and freeze for 1 to 2 hours before proceeding with recipe. For even more potassium (and a festive look), serve with coconut water ice cubes: pour coconut water into ice cube trays, add lime twists to each compartment, and freeze till solid.
- One six- to seven-pound seedless watermelon
- 4 large limes, zested and juiced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup honey, agave or unrefined cane sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Lime wedges and fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
1. Quarter watermelon and scoop out flesh (about 8 cups of fruit). Transfer to a blender. Add lime juice and sweetener, and process until very smooth. Add lime zest and mint, and pulse several times to combine.
2. Transfer mixture to a large glass Mason jar and chill for one hour. Serve in tall glasses over ice, garnished with lime wedges and fresh mint leaves, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe