Watermelon Salad with Jicama & Blueberries
This patriotic red, white, and blue salad is snap to make, a delight to behold, and a treat to eat!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Want to be frugal and environmentally conscious? Save the rinds from this watermelon salad to make a classic Chinese dish: Cut off the outer skin, slice the rind into pieces, and stir-fry with peanut oil, chile peppers, scallions, brown sugar, and rum. Serve with grilled chicken and organic brown rice, and you’ll have an amazing and unusual summer dinner! For more about the health benefits of watermelon, see Fresh Pick: Watermelon.
Watermelon Salad with Jicama & Blueberries recipe
- 3 Tbs. lime juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 4 cups torn hearts of romaine lettuce
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup peeled jicama, cut into 1-inch batons
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced sweet Maui onion
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- To make Dressing: Whisk together lime juice, mustard, and cayenne pepper; whisk in oil.
- To make Salad: Divide ingredients among four plates; drizzle each salad with 1 Tbs. dressing.
- Calories 144
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 29 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g