Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
A granita is an Italian semi-frozen dessert made with fresh fruit and water. This version combines watermelon and strawberries for a burst of refreshing flavor that also packs quite a bit of nutritional benefit—especially a large dose of immune-boosting vitamin C. For more about the health benefits of watermelon, see Fresh Pick: Watermelon.
Watermelon & Strawberry Granita recipe
- Combine sugar and water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- Place all ingredients, including sugar water, into blender, and process until smooth. (Depending on blender capacity, you may need to do this in batches.) Pour mixture into a 9×13 metal pan, and place in the freezer. Every 30 minutes or so, scrape and stir with a fork.
- After about 2 hours, Granita should be close to frozen. Give it a last scrape and stir, then divide among chilled bowls, and garnish with mint sprigs.
- Calories 0
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g