This sweet-and-savory side combines foods shown to benefit blood pressure with a creamy, yogurt-based dressing laced with lime. Lean protein makes it a full meal; use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken or cubed tofu. To make this recipe gluten-free, try sorghum or brown rice in place of wheat berries.
For more about this recipe: 8 Foods to Fight High Blood Pressure
1 cup dry wheat berries
1/2 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbs. lime juice
2 Tbs. agave syrup
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/4 cup pistachios
2 cups baby arugula
8 oz. cubed cooked chicken or tofu
Crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- Rinse wheat berries under cold running water in colander. Transfer to large, heavy saucepan, and add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partly covered, 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender but suntil firm. Drain, rinse, and let cool.
- While wheat berries are cooking, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, and agave in small bowl. Set aside.
- Transfer wheat berries to large bowl, and add pomegranate seeds, onion, pistachios, arugula, and chicken or tofu. Add yogurt dressing, and toss to mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors blend, or divide among four serving plates. Top with goat cheese, if desired, before serving.
- Serving Size: Per serving (with chicken)
- Calories: 370
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Cholesterol Content: 50 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Sodium Content: 55 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g