Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
This sweet-and-savory side combines foods shown to benefit blood pressure with a creamy, yogurt-based dressing laced with lime. Lean protein makes it a full meal; use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken or cubed tofu. To make this recipe gluten-free, try sorghum or brown rice in place of wheat berries.
For more about this recipe: 8 Foods to Fight High Blood Pressure
- Rinse wheat berries under cold running water in colander. Transfer to large, heavy saucepan, and add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partly covered, 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender but suntil firm. Drain, rinse, and let cool.
- While wheat berries are cooking, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, and agave in small bowl. Set aside.
- Transfer wheat berries to large bowl, and add pomegranate seeds, onion, pistachios, arugula, and chicken or tofu. Add yogurt dressing, and toss to mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors blend, or divide among four serving plates. Top with goat cheese, if desired, before serving.
- Serving Size Per serving (with chicken)
- Calories 370
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 55 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g