Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Homeopathy can be extremely effective for treating restless legs syndrome
Restless legs syndrome refers to a condition whereby a person has an irresistible desire to move the legs to relieve discomforting sensations. Luckily, homeopathic treatments can often provide relief—without side effects.
BEST HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES
The following homeopathic preparations are known to help ease restless legs syndrome. Use the remedy or remedies (you can combine two or more of them) that best match your symptoms.
- ZINCUM METALLICUM AND TARENTULA HISPANICA: These homeopathic remedies are best for people whose symptoms—including weakness, numbness, jerking, and/or twitching of legs—are worse at night. They are indicated when marked uneasiness in the legs is present, and constant motion of legs is needed to find relief. If you find it impossible to relax and find a comfortable position for your legs at rest, either of these remedies can help.
- MEDORRHINUM: This is the appropriate remedy if your legs ache all night long and you have difficulty keeping them still, even for a moment. Burning in the feet may be an accompanying symptom.
- RHUS TOXIODENDRON: This is a great remedy for restless legs accompanied by aching muscles or a crawling, tingling sensation. It’s also useful if you have a hard time keeping your legs in a relaxed position at night after a day of heavy exertion. Typically, rest worsens symptoms, and constant motion of legs provides relief.
- ARGENTUM NITRICUM AND CAUSTICUM: These remedies offer relief from a feeling of heaviness in the legs and rigid calves. Argentum nitricum, in particular, provides relief when restless legs cause rigid calves. Legs may feel heavy, like a log of wood. Causticum is ideal for those who experience a twitching sensation in the legs accompanied by a sense of heaviness. There may also be stiffness in the calf muscles and an electric-shock-like sensation in the legs.
- FERRUMMETALLICUM, FERRUM PHOSPHORICUM, AND CHINA: These remedies help to relieve symptoms of restless legs syndrome resulting from depleted iron reserves of the body—a common underlying cause of restless legs. They can help you relax, keep your legs still, and sleep soundly.
- KALI PHOSPHORICUM: This is the perfect homeopathic remedy for restless legs syndrome characterized by prickling or numbness in feet. It also is one of the best remedies for restless legs syndrome resulting from peripheral neuropathy. Exhaustion and fatigue are additional symptoms indicating Kali phosphoricum use.
Did you know?
Restless legs syndrome affects as many as 10 percent of the U.S. population, according to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
Do You Have Restless Legs Syndrome?
Check to see if any of these symptoms sound familiar:
- Compulsive or uncontrollable urge to move the legs to relieve unpleasant sensations.
- Uncomfortable sensations vary from a creeping, crawling, “pin-pricking” feeling to aching and throbbing sensations.
- Symptoms tend to be worse when you’re at rest, especially in the evening/night when you’re in a lying or sitting position.
- Movement, stretching, or walking relieves symptoms.
- Symptoms make sleeping difficult, resulting in drowsiness the following day
Boiron Argentum nitricum 30C & Causticum 30C
Dr. King’s Natural Medicine Restless Leg Symptom Relief