Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
The South Beach Diet, written by prominent Miami cardiologist Arthur Agatston, MD, is the definition of an overnight success story. The minute this low-carb, three-phase plan hit the store shelves in 2003, it became a household name—suddenly, anyone and everyone was following it to lose weight. Originally developed for patients with cardiovascular disease, The South Beach Diet emphasized healthy fats, such as those found in salmon, and good carbs, such as brown rice. Agatston describes his plan as a low- saturated-fat diet. “The South Beach Diet is not low-carb. Nor is it low-fat,” says Agatston. “The South Beach Diet teaches you to rely on the right carbs and the right fats—the good ones—and enables you to live quite happily without the bad carbs and the bad fats.”
If you’re interested in losing some weight, this balanced program deserves a second look.
Win a copy of The South Beach Diet (original edition). Email your name and address to email@example.com to enter.
Try our Oatmeal Pancake recipe.
The Story of Better Nutrition
Better Nutrition was founded by Jack Schwartz in 1938. Schwartz returned from the military with a business idea—start a magazine about nutrition. He loved helping friends and family find natural solutions to health problems, and he figured others would be interested in this too. He saw an opportunity to fill a niche and, at the same time, satisfy his passion for health and nutrition. And just like that, Better Nutrition magazine was born. Fall back in time with us this year as we revisit popular trends in nutrition, vitamins, recipes, and more with this limited-edition section.
80 Years of Better Nutrition:
- Better Nutrition in the 1930s – The Grapefruit Diet
- Better Nutrition in the 1940s – The Original Master Cleanse
- Better Nutrition in the 1950s, Part 1 – Gelatin Molds
- Better Nutrition in the 1950s, Part 2 – Wheat Germ
- Better Nutrition in the 1960s, Part 1 – Granola
- Better Nutrition in the 1960s, Part 2 – Fondue
- Better Nutrition in the 1970s, Adelle Davis
- Better Nutrition in the 1980s, Part 1 – Fit for Life
- Better Nutrition in the 1980s, Part 2 – Bran
- Better Nutrition in the 1990s, Part 1 – Low-Fat Diets
- Better Nutrition in the 1990s, Part 2 – Low-Carb Diets