Do you feel tired most of the time? Do you suffer from headaches? Do you have trouble concentrating? Do you have trouble sleeping?
Just four years ago, I answered yes to all of these questions. I was shocked to discover that toxins were everywhere in my kitchen-from plastic water containers to the pans I was using to cook my food. And most disturbing: These commonplace kitchen items were compromising my health. This eye-opening information empowered me to update my kitchen and create a healthy cooking environment in which I could thrive.
Here are some simple tips to detoxify your kitchen:
Plastic Cutting Boards:
These cause tiny bits of plastic to come off and land in your food. A durable, natural-fiber cutting board is a must-have for a nontoxic kitchen. These are great for everyday use, can be put in the dishwasher, and help keep knives sharp (whereas plastic cutting boards can cause knives to become dull).
Plastic Water Bottles:
Most people are aware of the dangers associated with plastic water bottles, but it bears repeating. Stay away from plastic water bottles that contain the harmful chemical BPA, and look for those marked “BPA-Free.” Avoid leaving any plastic bottles in a hot car-when heated, plastic can release toxic chemicals into water or other beverages. Glass bottles are the safest option: Try Takeya or Lifefactory.
These pots and pans release toxins when heated or when the surface becomes damaged. Replace them with stainless steel and cast iron cookware.
These can break down easily and release toxins when heated. Instead, use utensils made from silicon, wood, or stainless steel. One caveat: If silicon utensils turns white when bent, they probably contain fillers and should be avoided. Also a great option: Compostable forks, spoons, and knives made from biodegradable, plant-based materials such as corn. Try EcoSouLife.
Did you know that cooking or storing hot food in plastic is a recipe for disaster? Dangerous toxins can leach into your food. Use glass instead for food storage.
This kitchen staple releases toxins into your food when heated; use parchment paper instead.