Do you have a tendency to twitch your legs while sitting at your desk? Do you rock your legs constantly while watching TV? This seemingly trivial annoyance may actually be a medical disorder.
Restless leg syndrome refers to a condition whereby a person has an irresistible desire to move the legs to relieve discomforting sensations. Luckily, homeopathic treatments can often provide relief-without side effects.
Best Homeopathic Remedies for Restless Leg Syndrome
The following homeopathic preparations are known to help ease restless leg syndrome. Use the remedy or remedies (you can combine two or more of them) that best match your symptoms.
- Zincum metallicum and Tarentula hispanica: These homeopathic remedies are best suited for people whose symptoms-including weakness, numbness, jerking, and/or twitching of legs-are worse at night. They are indicated when marked uneasiness in the legs is present, and constant motion of legs is needed to find relief. If you find it impossible to relax and find a comforting position for your legs at rest, either of these remedies can help.
- Medorrhinum: This remedy is the appropriate choice if your legs ache all night long and you have difficulty keeping them still even for a moment. Burning in the feet may be an accompanying symptom.
- Rhus toxicodendron: This is a great remedy for restless legs accompanied by aching muscles or a crawling, tingling sensation. It's also useful if you have a hard time keeping your legs in a relaxed position at night after a day of heavy exertion. Typically, rest worsens symptoms, and constant motion of legs provides relief.
- Argentum nitricum and Causticum: These remedies offer relief for restless leg syndrome resulting from a sense of heaviness in the legs and rigid calves. Argentum nitricum, in particular, provides relief when restless legs cause rigid calves. Legs may feel heavy like a log of wood. Causticum is ideal for those who experience a twitching sensation in the legs accompanied by a sense of heaviness. There may also be stiffness in the calf muscles and an electric-shock-like sensation in the legs.
- Ferrum metallium, Ferrum phosphoricum, and China: These remedies help relieve symptoms of restless leg syndrome resulting from depleted iron reserves of the body-a common underlying cause of restless legs. They can help you relax, keep your legs still, and sleep soundly.
- Kali phosphoricum: This is the perfect homeopathic remedy for restless leg syndrome characterized by prickling or numbness in feet.
It also is one of the best remedies for restless leg syndrome resulting from peripheral neuropathy. Exhaustion and fatigue are additional symptoms indicating Kali phosphoricum use.
Do You Have Restless Leg Syndrome?
Check to see if any of these symptoms sound familiar:
- Compulsive or uncontrollable urge to move the legs to relieve unpleasant sensations.
- Uncomfortable sensations vary from a creeping, crawling, "pin-pricking" feeling to aching and throbbing sensations.
- Symptoms tend to be worse when you're at rest, especially in the evening/night when you're in a lying or sitting position.
- Movement, stretching, or walking relieves symptoms.
- Symptoms make sleeping difficult, resulting in drowsiness the following day.