Arugula, Blood Orange, and Roasted Beet Salad with Grapefruit-Thyme Vinaigrette
Tempt your tastebuds with a citrus-packed winter fruit salad
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This vibrant salad highlights the best of winter citrus, with the dramatic impact of blood oranges. Peel the blood oranges with a sharp paring knife, and remove as much white membrane as possible. If you can’t find blood oranges, substitute navel oranges, red grapefruit, kumquats, or tangerine segments. Pine nuts are an excellent substitution for walnuts. Or add thinly sliced fennel or red onions, for extra crunch.
Related: Farmers’ Market Beet & Arugula Salad
- 3 small red beets, scrubbed and trimmed
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, finely minced (about 1½ Tbs.)
- 2 tsp. finely minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup grapefruit juice (about ½ small grapefruit)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cups baby arugula leaves
- 2 medium or 3 small blood oranges, peeled, halved and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- Additional thyme leaves for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Wrap beets individually in foil, arrange on large baking sheet, and roast until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven, and let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel beets and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- While beets are roasting, whisk together mustard, shallot, thyme, and grapefruit juice in small bowl. Add olive oil in slow, steady stream, whisking constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Combine arugula and beets in large bowl. Drizzle with just enough dressing to lightly coat, and toss to combine. Add orange slices, goat cheese, and walnuts, and toss gently to mix.
- Divide salad among six individual plates and top with additional thyme, if desired. Serve immediately, with additional dressing on the side.
Related: Orange Appeal
- Calories 300
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Sodium Content 140 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g