This super-healthy riff on deviled eggs skips the mayo and uses avocado, for a summery green color and fresh, bright flavor. For an on-the-go snack, marry two filled egg halves and wrap tightly in foil. For a portable lunch, turn eggs into a wrap: mash all ingredients together, spread on a whole-grain or gluten-free tortilla, add arugula and hummus, and roll into a wrap.
For more about this recipe: Foods for Fitness
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved lengthwise
1 very ripe large avocado
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 garlic clove, peeled and pressed in a garlic press
2 Tbs. minced cilantro
1 Tbs. lime juice
Cilantro leaves and paprika for garnish (optional)
- Remove yolks from eggs and transfer to medium bowl. Set egg white halves aside.
- Halve avocado lengthwise, remove pit and scoop flesh into bowl with egg yolks. Add onion, garlic, minced cilantro, and lime juice. Mash with fork until smooth and well-blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fill egg white halves with avocado mixture. Arrange on plate, garnish with cilantro and paprika, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g
- Cholesterol Content: 185 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2.5 g
- Sodium Content: 65 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g