Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
For more Mardi Gras Remix recipes – Mardi Gras Remix
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat 9×5-inch loaf pan with oil or cooking spray, and set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, skim milk, egg, egg whites, brown sugar, 1 Tbs. vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Add bread cubes, and stir gently to mix. Stir in currants. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring frequently to keep bread cubes coated in liquid.
- While bread is soaking, combine bananas, rum or rum extract, melted butter if using, and remaining 2 tsp. vanilla in a blender. Purée until very smooth and creamy.
- Spoon half of bread mixture into prepared loaf pan. Drizzle some of the banana sauce over bread mixture. Spoon remaining bread mixture into pan, on top of sauce. Bake 45 minutes, or until set in center.
- While bread pudding is baking, warm remaining banana sauce mixture if desired (it can also be served at room temperature). To serve, remove bread pudding from oven and let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces, and serve immediately with banana sauce drizzled on top.
- Calories 340
- Carbohydrate Content 55 g
- Cholesterol Content 70 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 105 mg
- Sugar Content 21 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g