Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
This Butternut Squash Udon Bowl is so much fun with butternut squash noodles, you may not ever go back to regular udon! For successful spiralizing, use the straightest squash you can find, and when peeling, take off more skin than you think you need to for the most uniform results.
For more about this recipe: Get Inspiralized!
Butternut Squash Udon Bowl with Grilled Prawns
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spinach, and cook 1 minute. Remove from boiling water with slotted spoon, and drain well. Transfer to small bowl, and sprinkle with tamari and sesame oil. Return water to a boil.
- Cut bulbous end from butternut squash, peel straight top, and spiralize into long strips. Add squash to boiling water, and cook 5 minutes, until just tender but still very firm. Drain, and set aside.
- In medium pot, combine chicken stock, mirin, garlic, and ginger. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 4 minutes. Add prawns, and cook 3–5 minutes more, until prawns are cooked through. Remove garlic and ginger from pot, and discard.
- Divide noodles among serving bowls. In one third of the bowl, tuck red pepper strips on a diagonal into noodles, allowing them to extend about an inch above the surface. In another third of the bowl, arrange spinach in a small pile next to peppers. Arrange scallion strips between peppers and spinach. Arrange 3 prawns in the center of each bowl. Pour broth over bowl, shower with black sesame seeds, and serve immediately.
- Calories 140
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 35 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 850 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g