Chia and Almond Pizza Recipe
The little superfood seeds used in this recipe guarantee a real treat for your taste buds.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Instead of cheese, we use almond butter with yeast flakes, which is beautifully creamy and also incredibly healthy. This gluten-free pizza with almonds will elicit a chorus of “Mmmmm!” and surpass everything you would expect from a really good pizza.
- 2 Tbs. ground chia seeds
- 1¼ cups ground almonds
- ½ tsp. salt
- Gluten-free flour for dusting
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- 2 Tbs. tomato purée
- ½ tsp. olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- ½ tsp. pizza seasoning
- 1 small onion
- ½ small zucchini
- 1 small red pepper
- 1½ Tbs. almond butter
- 1½ tsp. yeast flakes
- 2½ cups arugula
- Stir chia seeds together with 4 Tbs. water and let soak 20 minutes. Preheat over to 400°F, and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine almonds and salt, and knead together with soaked chia seeds to create smooth dough. Divide dough in half, and roll out each piece on floured work surface. Lay disks of dough onto prepared backing sheet, and bake in center of oven 12-15 minutes, or until golden.
- While dough cooks, stir together tomato sauce, tomato purée, and olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, and pizza seasoning. Peel onion, and thinly slice onion and zucchini. Quarter pepper, remove seeds, and chop into thin strips. Combine almond butter, yeast flakes, and 3 Tbs. water, and stir until smooth.
- Spread pizza sauce onto cooked dough, and top with vegetables. Dollop almond butter mixture on top, and bake 5-7 minutes more, until done. Top with arugula, and serve.