Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join Today!.
Forget about the dogs and burgers. This satisfying tempeh griller perfectly captures the smokey barbecue flavor you love in one low-carb (only 20g without the bun) vegan (yes, vegan!) package. You’ll never look at grilling the same way again.
For more great meatless grilling ideas, see 5 Vegan BBQ Recipes.
Chipotle-Molasses Barbecued Tempeh recipe
- In medium saucepan, combine tomato purée, tomato paste, onion, garlic, chipotle chili, and rosemary. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, uncovered. Transfer to blender, add molasses, honey, and tamari, and purée until smooth.
- Cut each tempeh block in half crosswise, then split lengthwise to make thinner slabs. Arrange in baking dish and brush with oil. Pour barbecue sauce over tempeh, and bake 10 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and tempeh is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Cover baking dish to transport to barbecue; warm tempeh slabs on grill and serve on buns, if desired.
- Calories 200
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 450 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g