- ¾ cup red or white quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil
- 2 ½ cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 large red potato, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 small shallots, chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups plain soymilk
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 3 Tbs. chopped cilantro, plus a few sprigs for garnish
1. Toast quinoa and cumin seeds in pot over medium-high heat, 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden and fragrant, stirring constantly. Transfer to bowl.
2. Heat oil in pot; add corn, potato and shallots. Sauté 5 minutes, or until shallots are translucent. Add broth and soymilk, and bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in bell pepper, cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until quinoa and vegetables are tender.
3. Remove from heat; stir in chopped cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls, and garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges, if desired.
- Calories: 253
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 378 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g