As a side or main dish, this salad brings out the best of summer’s bounty. The tahini dressing is pure Mediterranean goodness that can be used as a dressing or dip for your next get-together.
When shopping for eggplant, look for shiny, smooth skin that gives just a little when you press it gently with your thumb. The stem should be green. Above all, smaller is better because the skin will be less bitter. Store in the refrigerator and eat within a week.
- Serves 6 as a side dishServings
- 4 Tbs. tahini (well stirred)
- 4 Tbs. water (or more if too thick)
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, or more to taste
- 1 Tbs. honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
Eggplant & Summer Squash
- 1 Japanese eggplant (slender variety)
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow summer squash
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 head frissée (chicory), escarole, or romaine lettuce (sturdy lettuce that won’t wilt works best)
- 8 dates, chopped
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup feta cheese or slivered manchego cheese for garnish
- Blend all dressing ingredients in food process or blender. Taste, adjust salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Oil grill grates to prevent vegetables from sticking. Preheat grill to 375°F. Cut tops off eggplant, zucchini, and squash, and cut each down the middle lengthwise. Score flesh in crisscross pattern. Salt well, and set aside 10–15 minutes to draw out water.
- Brush off salt, and dab dry with a paper towel. Brush generously with extra-virgin olive oil. Season with dried oregano and a light sprinkle of pepper.
- Place vegetables on grill, flesh down. Grill 10–15 minutes, until well browned. Remove from grill, and cut into 1-inch thick pieces.
- Wash, dry, and tear salad leaves into bite-sized pieces. Place in large, shallow salad bowl. Top lettuce with grilled vegetables, dates, almonds, tomatoes, and cheese. Serve with tahini dressing.
- Calories: 260
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3.5 g
- Sodium Content: 140 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g