The yogurt-cream cheese frosting is soft; if you like it firmer, increase the cream cheese to yogurt ratio. We made ours in a loaf pan for ease. For a layered cake, double the recipe and bake in two 8-inch round pans. Experiment with spices and other additions: cardamom, pecans, coconut, and currants are all delicious alternatives. Or use sunflower seeds for a nut-free version.
Related: The ABCs of Vitamin A
*For a sugar-free alternative, try NOW Foods Organic Confectioner’s Erythritol Powder.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8×4-inch loaf pan with coconut oil, then dust with almond flour. Shake out excess.
2. Peel and coarsely shred carrots. Squeeze shredded carrots firmly to release as much liquid as possible (should make about 1 1/2 cups lightly packed shredded carrots). Combine in medium bowl with walnuts and raisins; set aside.
3. In large bowl, whisk remaining almond flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4. In stand mixer, or using handheld electric mixer, beat eggs and coconut sugar until light and creamy and doubled in volume, 4–5 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract and remaining coconut oil.
5. With mixer on lowest setting, add half the flour mixture, beating until well combined. Add half the carrot mixture, and beat until combined. Repeat with remaining flour and carrot mixture.
6. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth top. Bake on middle rack about 35 minutes, until golden and tester inserted into the center of loaf comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes. Run butter knife along edges of pan to release sides, and invert onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely before frosting (cake may be made in advance).
7. To make frosting: In stand mixer or using hand-held mixture, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar on medium-high until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Reduce speed to low, and beat in yogurt, vanilla, and salt. Increase mixer speed and beat until fluffy, 3–4 minutes. If mixture is very soft, chill 1 hour to firm it up.
8. Transfer cake to serving platter. Spread frosting evenly over top and sides of cake, and decorate with walnuts. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serving Size 12
- Calories 250
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 45 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 300 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g