Your circulatory system is like the network of canals in Venice, Italy, which enable passengers to travel to various destinations, according to Gene Bruno, coauthor of What’s in Your Blood & Why You Should Care: How to Cleanse & Detoxify Your Blood for Optimum Health. Oxygen and nutrients are delivered, and carbon dioxide and waste products are removed in a 24/7 process.
But there’s a catch: “Unwanted compounds, too, can travel to various organs of your body via your bloodstream, which may lead to illness,” says Bruno; “In addition, if your blood isn’t circulating as well as it should, nutrients will not be utilized as efficiently.”
What to Do
The blood doesn’t have its own built-in detox mechanism, but your gut, liver, and other organs involved in detoxification will cleanse it. To enhance the process, Bruno recommends exercising regularly; staying hydrated with pure water; focusing your diet on vegetables, fruits, fermented foods, protein, and fiber from nuts, seeds, and whole grains; and drinking green tea. In addition, these are some of his top supplement picks:
- N-acetylcysteine (NAC): Supports liver detoxification; promotes the excretion of arsenic, other poisons, and heavy metals such as mercury and lead.
- Milk thistle extract: Protects the liver against harm from toxic chemicals and drugs; reduces recirculation of toxins; and helps regenerate damaged liver cells.
- Glycine: Reduces liver damage from low oxygen levels and toxins released by dying bacterial cells; minimizes alcoholic liver injury by decreasing blood alcohol levels.
How Much to Take
- NAC: 600 mg daily.
- Milk thistle extract: 175 mg of an extract standardized to 80% silymarin, two to three times daily.
- Glycine: 500–1,000 mg daily.