Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Avid fish eaters appreciate different preparations—grilling gets old after a while! This Indian-inspired dish may be just the ticket for livening up your fish repertoire.
It centers around a yogurt and spice marinade similar to what Indian cooks use in their chicken or lamb tandoori oven dishes. Sautéing the fish creates a slightly smoky flavor, mimicking the flavors of the tandoori oven. It’s important to use a nonstick skillet, plenty of heat, and a little oil in the pan—don’t worry, the dish is still healthy.
The apple-coconut raita is a traditional Indian yogurt-based condiment commonly used to help cool the often spicy cuisine.
If you don’t have all the spices for the marinade, it’s fine to leave one or two out. You’ll never miss them since finishing the fish with butter adds richness. Recipe excerpted from our sister publication Cuisine at Home (cuisineathome.com).
Zint Organic Tumeric Powxer
- Combine ½ cup yogurt, ginger, garlic, 1 Tbs. lime juice, minced serrano, paprika, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. cumin, cinnamon, coriander, and turmeric in glass baking dish. Add fish, and coat both sides with yogurt mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator 1–4 hours.
- Scrape most of marinade from fish fillets, and discard. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet, add fillets, and sauté 4–5 minutes. Carefully flip fillets, and cook 3–4 minutes more. Remove skillet from heat, and top each fillet with 1 tsp. butter. Cover skillet, and let stand 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, process coconut in food processor until finely chopped. Add apple, serrano, cilantro, cumin, juice of 1/2 lime, and pinch of salt. Process until finely chopped. Stir in yogurt and chill until ready to serve, up to 1 hour. Top fillets with raita and serve with Basmati Rice.
- Calories 370
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 75 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 39 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 730 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g