Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The trick to Paleo-approved burgers? Skip the processed beef and the bun. Made with more primal-friendly bison, these delicious patties will make you forget all about typical cheeseburgers and hot dogs. We used Paleo- and Whole30-approved Primal Kitchen Mayo with Avocado Oil to keep everything within dietary bounds. For more great caveman grilling tips, see Paleo-Friendly BBQ Recipes.
Mediterranean Bison Burgers with Grilled Green Onions and Ripe Tomatoes recipe
- Preheat grill to medium (375ºF).
- In a small bowl, combine the parsley, coriander, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and pepper. Place the bison in a medium bowl and add the parsley-spice mixture, the egg, chopped onion, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Mix with your hands just until combined. Shape the meat mixture into four ¾-inch-thick patties. Use your thumb to make a slight indentation in the center of each patty.
- Grill the patties over direct heat for 10–12 minutes, turning once, until they register 160ºF.
- Toss the green onions with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper. Grill the green onions, turning them once, until tender and lightly charred, about 4 minutes.
- Place a tomato slice on each of four serving plates and top each with a bison burger. Divide the charred green onions among the plates. Top the patties with mayonnaise, and sprinkle chopped herbs over all.
- Calories 300
- Carbohydrate Content 6 g
- Cholesterol Content 110 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 260 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g