This crowd-pleasing recipe takes almost no time to assemble in a slow cooker. It’s packed with omega-3 fats from walnuts, grass-fed beef, a pastured egg, and chia and flaxseed tortilla chips. Recipe from the California Walnut Board (walnuts.org).
For more about this recipe: 6 Foods High in Omega-3s
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 3/4 cup chopped California walnuts, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican 4 cheese blend, divided
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips (try omega-3-rich Siete Sea Salt Grain Free Tortilla Chips or Food Should Taste Good Multigrain Tortilla Chips)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp. reduced-sodium chili and lime Mexican seasoning blend
- 1 lb. organic, grass-fed ground beef
- 1 (4-oz.) can diced green chiles
- 1 pastured egg
- Additional salsa, diced avocado, and fresh cilantro for topping, optional
- Place salsa in the bottom of a large slow cooker. Place 1/2 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup cheese, tortilla chips, onion, seasoning, ground beef, chiles, and egg in large bowl. Mix well with your hands, then shape into 4 equal balls.
- Place 1 Tbs. remaining walnuts in palm of your hand, and place 1 meatloaf on top, pressing walnuts into surface. Repeat with remaining walnuts and meat. Place loaves, walnut-side-up, in slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on high 11/2 hours, or on low 3 hours. Top loaves with equal amounts of cheese; cover, and let stand 5 minutes more to melt. Serve with any desired toppings.
- Calories: 530
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Cholesterol Content: 140 mg
- Fat Content: 37 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 35 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 12 g
- Sodium Content: 850 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g