Open-Face Mexican Chalupas
Featuring all of the colors of the rainbow, this quick-and-easy recipe packs a serious dose of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Take a tortilla, layer it with beans and lean protein, add a medley of colorful veggies, and not only do you have a quick-and-easy meal, it’s your rainbow for the day.
Open-Face Mexican Chalupa Recipe
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb. grass-fed, organic lean ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 15.5-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, drained
- 4 corn tortillas (or whole-grain flour tortillas)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ head iceberg or romaine lettuce, thinly sliced (2–3 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- Toppings: Sour cream, salsa, guacamole, corn (or other veggies)
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook until evenly browned and crumbly. Add black beans and tomatoes, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil over medium heat in another large skillet. After about 1 minute, place 1 tortilla in pan. Flip after 2 minutes or when golden and puffed. Brown other side 1 minute more. Set aside on plate. Repeat with remaining tortillas, adding more oil to pan if necessary.
- Place one tortilla in middle of plate. Top with ½ cup of meat mixture. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of cheese. Top generously with lettuce and bell peppers. Spoon sour cream, salsa, and guacamole on top. Repeat with other tortillas and serve.
- Calories 605
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 102 mg
- Fat Content 34 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 35 g
- Saturated Fat Content 13 g
- Sodium Content 1049 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g