Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth nutrition, fitness and adventure courses, and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+..
Ditch your grandmother’s mayo-laden cole slaw recipe for this lighter version that drastically cuts back on the mayo and adds green apple and jicama to create a flavorful, nutrient-packed summer side dish.
Red Cabbage, Green Apple, & Jicama Slaw
- Grate zest from 1 lime, and set aside. Squeeze lime juice into medium bowl. Rapidly whisk in honey until well blended. Slowly whisk in mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Cut cabbage in half lengthwise. Remove and discard core. Cut cabbage crosswise into very thin slices using mandoline or sharp knife.
- Combine cabbage, jicama, apples, green onions, and cilantro. Toss to mix. Add dressing, and stir gently until vegetables and apples are lightly coated. Season to taste with sea salt and white pepper. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Sprinkle slaw with lime zest and cilantro. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Calories 154
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 3 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 64 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g