Seared Watermelon ‘Tuna’ Salad
Refreshing seasonal watermelon replaces seared ahi tuna in this creative, flavor-packed dish.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
When marinated, watermelon takes on the texture of tuna. The taste is unexpected and exquisite! Make sure to get a nice caramelization on the “tuna” before serving. Whether you’ve just gone meatless, are trying to cut down on animal products, or are a long-term vegan, you can create beautiful, tasty recipes that are simple to make. Here’s a perfect one for summer, excerpted with permission from Plants Only Kitchen by Gaz Oakley.
- 1 medium watermelon, peeled and cut into 1-inch thick steaks
- 1 Tbs. sea salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tsp. tahini
- 6 Tbs. soy sauce (or tamari for GF)
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp. dried chili flakes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Tbs. Sriracha sauce
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 spring onions (scallions)
- 3 Tbs. sesame oil
- ½ cucumber, cut into batons
- 5 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, finely sliced length-ways
- 10.5 oz. rice noodles, cooked according to the packet
- Handful of Thai basil leaves
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F, and line a deep baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange watermelon steaks in single layer on baking sheet, lightly salt, and bake 1 hour, or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, combine marinade ingredients in blender. Remove watermelon from the oven. (It will shrink down and have a lovely, deep red color.)
3. Pour marinade over cooked watermelon. Allow watermelon to cool, then place in fridge to marinate at least 2 hours. When watermelon has marinated, toss salad ingredients together with a few tablespoons of watermelon marinade.
4. Heat non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add a little oil, and sear watermelon steaks 2 minutes each side. Divide noodle salad among four plates, and top with sliced watermelon to serve.
- Calories 380
- Carbohydrate Content 80 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 1110 mg
- Sugar Content 37 g