Shiitake & Edamame Fried Rice
Who needs take-out when you can make your own veggie-packed fried rice in no time?
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
For more about this recipe: 7 Best Anti-Anxiety Foods
2 Tbs. peanut oil or sesame oil
1 large carrot, minced
1 small red pepper, chopped
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup packed sliced shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup thawed frozen edamame
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs. minced ginger
3 cups cooked brown rice
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbs. tamari
2 Tbs. mirin (sweet rice cooking wine)
½ cup cashews
1 large bunch green onions, chopped
1. In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 Tbs. of oil over medium-high. Add carrot, pepper, onion, and mushrooms, and sauté until vegetables are just tender, 5–7 minutes. Stir in edamame and cook for 1 minute, or until heated through.
2. Transfer vegetables to a bowl. Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and heat over medium. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds. Add rice and stir to coat thoroughly. Push rice to sides of pan, leaving a well in the center. Pour eggs into well and cook, stirring frequently, until just set. Stir eggs into rice.
3. Return vegetables to skillet, stirring to mix. Add tamari and mirin and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Transfer to serving bowl, scatter cashews and scallions over top, and serve.
- Calories 410
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 95 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 560 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g