Spicy Tuna Salad Sandwich with Arugula, Red Onion & Broccoli Sprouts
This power-packed sandwich incorporates a variety of cancer-preventive vegetables into traditional tuna salad.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A mix of Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and olive oil takes the place of high-fat mayonnaise, and adds extra protein, with a spicy zing from cayenne pepper. We layered ours on a hearty, whole-grain bread studded with flax seeds; other options include gluten-free bread, ciabatta, baguette, or whole-wheat tortillas. For a grain-free option, serve it in lettuce cups.
For more about this recipe: Eat to Beat Breast Cancer
1/3 cup low-fat, plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 6-oz. can white meat tuna packed in water, drained well
1/2 cup finely chopped arugula
1/4 cup minced red onion
1/4 cup shredded carrots
8 slices whole-grain flax bread
1 cup broccoli sprouts
Dijon mustard (optional)
- In medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper. Add tuna, arugula, onion, and carrots, and stir to mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture between four slices of bread, and top with broccoli sprouts. Spread remaining bread with mustard, if desired. Top sandwiches with remaining bread, cut on the diagonal, and serve immediately.
- Calories 540
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 40 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 36 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 670 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g